Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Jeremy

I went to the University of Minnesota tonight. The longest conversation was with Jeremy and two of his friends - all of which were grad students at the UofM.When I first asked Jeremy what he believed about God, he indicated that he didn't know - that he was agnostic - but leaned toward believing in God. However, after talking to him for a little while, it became apparent that he had a much more extensive set of beliefs about God.

Jeremy had some knowledge of the Bible, but missed vital points necessary to be saved from his sins and justified before God. Usually, when I speak to people about the good news of Christ I share it in two parts. First, I talk about the law that God requires everyone on earth to follow perfectly (i.e., the bad news part of the good news, see Rom. 3:9-19). Second, I share the essence of my faith, namely, that Jesus Christ was God, that he was born as a man, lived a perfect life, died to pay the penalty that I deserved to pay for not living up to God's standards, and rose from the dead (the good news part of the good news).

Long story short, I didn't really get past the bad news with Jeremy. I got stuck at whether we are sinful people deserving to be punished by a just God. I don't think Jeremy believed he was bad enough to go to hell. He didn't see how God is so Holy that He requires perfection and that lying, stealing, and committing adultery in his heart were worthy of death. Although, I didn't bring it up I'm pretty sure he would reject Rev. 21:8 that says "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, ... and all liars—their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

I never really moved beyond the bad news, because Jeremy couldn't get past it. Jeremy said he believed that Christ led a life as an example to us - this is the natural conclusion one would have if one didn't understand the necessity that Christ die for our sins. In my understanding, Jeremy didn't believe that he had any sins that would require payment. Thus, the good news part of the good news was meaningless to him.

I told Jeremy about this blog and he said he might check it out. I asked him to keep me honest in my post because I'm trying to fairly portray his beliefs. I pray that God will open his eyes to sin - that he will see how we are all seeped in it. Only then will the good news be good.

2 comments:

Krista Smith said...

I've read Jeremy's account of your interaction. I wonder why you tell people they are sinners (the bad news.)

Given the brevity of your aquaintance with Jeremy, I'm curious how you know Jeremy believes he is sinless.

Finally, I wonder what God's account of your conversation with Jeremy would be. Christianity claims that final judgement is left to God. Which leads me to ask, who would He judge as the saint and the sinner?

Josh McGuire said...

First of all - thanks for commenting and excellent questions Krista. You asked why I share the bad news. I try to explain to people that everyone is under sin and consequently under God's wrath because without that understanding, Christ's payment for sin is stripped of its meaning.

I explained this very issue to Jeremy using the analogy of a person who was sick. If you don't know that you have a deadly, but completely curable disease, you won't go in for treatment because you are ignorant of your need. Sharing the bad news (the fact that we are all sick), alerts people that they need a cure (i.e., it gives meaning to the good news and shows why it is so important).

As for Jeremy believing he was sinless ... I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been on that issue. I wrote "Jeremy didn't believe that he had any sins that would require payment." By this, I didn't necessarily think that Jeremy believed he was sinless, just that he didn't think he had done anything that required payment for sins. I do not believe he had a proper understanding of how repulsive a Holy God sees sin. I believe that Jeremy saw his sin as more of a mistake instead of an offense against God (we talked a little about this, too).

For your last point, you are right that God is the ultimate Judge. In talking to Jeremy I tried to emphasis this point as well. We walked through God's law - the 10 commandments - not my law. God will judge based on his laws (Romans 2:12 ... those who sin under the law, will be judged by the law") and every person will be found guilty (Romans 3 "for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin" and later "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God").

If God gave me and Jeremy what we deserved, we would both end up in hell as guilty sinners. However, God is full of mercy and extends payment of sins to all who have faith in Jesus. I know that I need the cure and have accepted the offer. I don't think Jeremy even knew he was sick.

Does that clarify things?