Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Gift of Unrighteous Mammon

What should I do when I am asked for money? I run straight into this moral brick wall almost daily working in downtown Minneapolis. Witnessing tonight was no different. During the day, I typically give out McDonald's gift certificates in lieu of cash to panhandlers. Sometimes, I buy lunch and eat it with them. Sometimes, I just make eye contact, smile, and apologize that I don't have any cash to give them.

Tonight was a little more difficult. A man was walking in a group that included several older children and teenagers. He asked if he could ask me a question. I said that he could ask me a question if I could ask him a question. He agreed. I asked him what he believed happened after death, and he responded that he believed in reincarnation because the Bible taught it "between the lines." I answered that I study the Bible and did not think that the Bible included this, but I was interested in where he thought it might be. He didn't have an answer, but he did ask the question that we had bargained for earlier.

He wanted $10 for bus tickets for all the children. I said that I could not give him cash, but would wait for him and pay for the tickets for him. He changed his mind and said that he would find the money some other way, but wanted me to buy something in the store for the children instead. What to do, what to do? I told him, I had something much more valuable to give him and tried to explain the gospel, but he said he would catch me "later."

Was I wrong? I want to glorify God with generosity and love, but would giving money be right (or righteous) in this situation - one in which this man was so obviously just trying to play me? Would giving money be like a bribe for him to hear me out. He did not value the gospel - just the $10. Would I be throwing the pearls to the swine. I don't want to degrade the gospel of God by sharing it with someone who was not interested (or at least did not appear to be).

On the other hand, Jesus did heal the sick and feed the hungry in his ministry. I want to be like Christ. I want to give generously and let men see my good works and glorify my Father who is in heaven. Was this man in need like the sick healed by Christ or the hungry that my LORD fed? I don't know this man's heart. What is my responsibility to him? I don't know yet, but I will think about this before next Tuesday night's witnessing.

Enlighten me in your comments if you believe you have some truth.

Additional thoughts: Tonight I did give some money to a homeless man named Eric who professed faith in Christ and seemed to have a love for Him. He sang gospel songs for money so I sat with him and we spoke (and sang together!) for awhile. He asked me to pray with him when we met again later that night - that he would get enough money for the shelter. He didn't ask for money, but I gave him what little cash I had.

Was I duped by Eric? I don't think so. Is that the test to whether my actions were right? Probably not. I kept thinking of how the Bible condemns Christians who pray with their fellow Christians, but do not do anything to feed or cloth them. I must not, and cannot, be that abomination.

However, Eric's situation seemed quite a bit different from the man that asked for $10. Eric appeared to be family so I had to help and I think that the money actually would help. I don't think any money given to Ten Dollar Man would have helped anything, but who knows?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a difficulty I had going to church when I was in college: the church was in the middle of a lot of downtown, and homeless people were everywhere. I often hurt in my heart because I thought uncharitable thoughts before entering God's house.

I eventually made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to take with me to church, passing them out along the way. Those who wanted food always came to me. Those who wanted money for other things didn't. At the same time, I always tried to talk the people into going into church with me. Catholic churches in downtown areas often help the homeless, and there is usually a range of wealth, even though it seems to be less so in Minneapolis. It's hard, however, to get people to ask for help that might actually get them off the streets.